I must apologize, because I have been failing at keeping you updated as much as I would like. My monthly newsletter will be coming out at the beginning of next month, which is very soon now that I look at it!
As you saw 2 weeks ago, I started a cooking class here at the center. It's almost comical because something always goes wrong with the appliances. Today, even on low heat, the pan got too hot, and the butter burned just seconds after putting it in the pan. But--all is well that ends well! We made enchiladas. It was SO wonderful! Everyone loved it! It brought back memories of my eating enchiladas in the states, and makes me miss the food back home! I really miss the insane variety of food that we have at home. We are so spoiled!
Enchiladas can be spicy. (We didn't make them spicy today, but they can be). So today's Bible Study topic attached to the cooking class was about spicing up our spiritual life. We went to the website linked here to talk about what happens when we are spiritually bored, and we found out who is at fault.
I'll just tell you the answer--but you really should read it yourself as it is very good. It's not the pastor's fault for giving a bad sermon. It's not your friend's fault for not agreeing to do devotions with you. It's not God's fault for not being more interesting (because he is extremely interesting...). No. It's MY fault. It's YOUR fault.
I have felt spiritually bored before. I sometimes feel like everything is the same ol' stuff that I hear every Sunday. But whose fault is that? Definitely not the preacher's. It's my own fault. I am not coming to the service ready to learn about what God's doing for me. As the article says (and I am ashamed to admit) I sometimes just say "oh, great, another sermon". I am not actually listening to the words of God.
James tells us that faith without works is dead. That doesn't mean that we need to do works to go to heaven. But it means that if we say we have faith, yet don't act upon it, do you think that's really faith? Faith produces action. We need to be active in our faith--read the bible. pray continuously. go to devotions. actually listen and apply what you learn on Sunday morning (or whenever you attend church!) Try this. The article suggests that you will no longer be bored if you actually apply what you are learning...you will be spending all of your time trying to be Christ-like. Isn't that what God wants us to do? In fact, isn't that the meaning of life? To be like Christ? We should strive for it. We can never achieve it perfectly, but we can try. And when we fail, Christ is right there to pick us up again. Thanks be to God!
I don't have pictures from making enchiladas this week, but I can assure you that they were delicious :) Maybe I will get pictures from Maggie or someone else who was taking pictures!
Until next time, God Bless!
No comments:
Post a Comment