Saturday, May 5, 2012

Bunco

I think that I am backed up on my blog posts, so I will write one as I wait in the airport in Macau!

We had a social event in April called Bunco.  This is a game where you use dice, and it can be played in groups of multiples of 4.  You sit at a table with 3 others, and you're partners with the person sitting across from you.  You then take turns rolling the dice, looking for certain numbers, and tallying up the scores.  At the end of each round, you switch tables, AND partners.  This way, you get to play and converse with a wide variety of people--probably at least half of the people in the room, depending on how many people are playing.

Serena and I were super excited about the event.  I bought 100 dice (not because we thought we'd have 50 tables, but because that's the smallest number I could buy!), and we set up 8 tables, expecting about 32 people.  I was nervous: what would happen if we have more than 32 people?  I guess then we'd take ourselves out of the game, and we'd wander around.  The event was to take place from 4-6pm.

4:00 came.  4:00 went.  4:30 came, along with our first student.  Within the next half hour, we had a total of 5 students walk in, with one being a child.  Now, don't get me wrong--I was ecstatic that people showed up.  The people who showed up are people who I don't normally get to chat with, so it was great to be able to talk with them.  However: expecting an excess of 30 people really caused me to feel some degree of disappointment.  What did I do wrong?  Everyone was so interested in the game!  We had such positive informal RSVPs, and we thought that people were just gonna flock in.

Unfortunately, it doesn't always work like that.  After I got over the initial disappointment, I realized something. I am not looking for quantity.  Although quantity is something that we strive for, it's not something that is always best.  Because our quantity was down, we were able to have more quality.  I was able to have deeper conversations with those who came, and we were able to even exchange phone numbers in order to keep in touch outside of the center.  Since the game was complicated, it was easier to answer questions.  Now, if we do it in the future, there are 4 people who know how to play and can help explain in Chinese!

Sometimes my plan isn't God's plan.  My plan was to have a great multitude of people show up, and for the place to be packed.  But that apparently wasn't God's plan.  He apparently wanted us to have a smaller group with a more small-group style conversation.  I thank God for Him allowing His plan to unfold, and not mine.  With my plan unfolding, who knows where we'd be.  But God always shows his dominance, but also his compassion to us when we think we know what's right, but we are actually far from what His plan is!

I am actually thankful for the people who showed up, and I thank God for his bringing them there at that day.  I am all for having a better relationship with a few people.

Speaking of, please pray that God would send me some close friendships.  Most of the friends that I have made here that I see on more than a monthly basis either are moving or have moved away.  I could use a few solid friendships around here, especially since I'm staying for another year, possibly more.

No comments:

Post a Comment