Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Subbing, Sales, and Hot Chocolate!

So.  What have I been up to?  Well, I have been subbing fairly regularly: it's been about once a week that I have found myself dressing up and heading to the Lutheran School to sub.  It's nice to have something to do during the day!  Also, it's great practice for when I am a teacher in Macau!

When not subbing, I have mentioned baking a lot in my posts.  Well, the school had their craft and vendor sale last Saturday, and my mom and I sold out of danish!  We made over 100 danish, and after giving some away to family, we ended up selling 93 danish, with a potential for more being sold this week!  We have to bake more in order to finish what we've already sold!  WOW!  We brought 85 to the school last week, and had pre-sold some as well as took an order for 12 to fill this week.

When all was said and done, we raised a little over $900 for Macau!  I am so thankful that my Mom so generously donated all the ingredients, and also was willing to give up all the proceeds!  I am blessed with so much support from my family and friends :)  I want to thank everyone who came, also!  I appreciate the support, and I hope you enjoy the Danish!

Today I wasn't feeling great, so I sat on the couch most of the day.  I woke up with plans of doing Zumba, but that quickly faded when I realized how bad I felt.  Later in the afternoon I finally started feeling better, but by then my motivation to exercise had long gone--haha.  So much for that!  But tomorrow I will do it!  I really enjoy Zumba!  I just need to get back into it!  My brother also left the Playstation 2 at home, so I have access to DDR again!  I absolutely LOVE DDR!!! If anyone in Sioux Falls likes it, come over and we'll Dance Dance REVOLUTION revolution revolution.. (imagine that fading into an echo!)

So after watching my favorite show (NCIS) tonight, I felt like enjoying a cup of hot chocolate.  I made some, and it was just the flavor I needed to end the day well :)  Whenever I need to make a day better, I know that hot chocolate will do the trick!  You should grab one too!

Do you know what else makes my day better?  Jesus!  I know it sounds cliche, but He really does!  One thing I have struggled with my entire life is reading my Bible on a daily basis.  I always said, yeah, my prayer life is good, so that must be good enough.  Plus I know most of the stories already, so it's good.  But I never knew what it was like to get into the Bible daily.  I got a 1 year bible for my birthday.  It's a bible that's arranged so that you read it cover to cover, but it's not in order...you are reading through 4 books at the same time.  The passages go in order, it's just that you are reading 4 at the same time...right now I am in Exodus, Matthew, Psalms, and Proverbs.  Each day it takes you through the next part in each of the books.  I have really been enjoying it!

I already found out things that I never knew before.  I didn't realize that God said that his name is Jealous!  That's in Exodus right as God is giving Moses the 10 commandments the 2nd time (Exodus 34:14).  I never knew that before.  I mean, I know he said that he was a jealous God, but never know that he named himself Jealous!  I've also run into some great stories in Genesis that I had forgotten.  It was really fun exploring the Bible, and will continue to intrigue me!

In January I really got into reading my Bible daily.  It worked until February, when I went on an extended vacation.  That mix-up in my daily life just threw everything off-kilter, and I didn't continue with reading my Bible.  It's unfortunate, but true.  Just a few days ago I decided that it's about time that I start reading again.  I am about 2 months behind in my daily plan right now, but it's ok.  I don't know if I will try to catch up or not..we'll see!  I might just extend it into next year for 2 months.

Speaking from experience, something that I would recommend if you are having the same struggles that I am having is to have a time every day that you read your Bible.  Also, place your Bible in a place where you will always see it at that time of the day.  At first you might get guilted into it by your conscience (at least that's what mine did!!), but then it begins to be something that you actually look forward to.  For me, it's right before I go to bed.  It takes me about an hour to fall asleep anyway, and I figure that instead of just laying there, I could read my Bible.  It's a time that works for me!  Also, my Bible is right by my bed, so I see it every time I climb into bed, and don't forget to read it.

Since I am not a morning person, reading it in the morning just wouldn't work as well for me.  If you are a morning person, by all means do it in the morning!  If it's a break between classes, do it then!  Just make sure that you treat it like a class period, in that you don't leave homework to do at that time!  It's important to just have that 15, 20, 30, or even 60 minutes a day to just read God's word!  I never valued that before, and I can tell a difference in my attitude when I am reading the Bible daily and when I am not.  My thoughts drift towards God more during the day when I just take 15 minutes a day to reflect upon his word.  I couldn't believe the change it made in just one month: imagine if it were a habit that happened every day for a year!

Well, I think this post is long enough for today :)  I hope that you are sipping your hot chocolate and smiling today!  It's a beautiful day that the Lord has made!  Let us rejoice and be glad in it! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment