Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Orientation

One week and just a couple assignments left until I leave for Orientation in St. Louis!  I am very excited about orientation, because a) I will meet other missionaries going into the field this year all over the world, and b) I will learn TEFL which I am super nervous about.  I am also excited because this means that I am one step closer to Macau!

I have 2 half assignments to finish, and one that I still have to start.  One of the half assignments is reading through the book of Nehemiah.  I am over half-way done with the book, and am finding it quite interesting.  Nehemiah rebuild the city of Jerusalem after it was destroyed, and he was under a lot of opposition by Israel's enemies who threatened to attack.  The people were scared as well, and he had to keep them calm and ready to defend Jerusalem.  He was well respected and trustworthy, two qualities that leaders need to possess, and that I strive to achieve.  He also trusted God in everything, and asked for God's help in his life.  He also gave God the credit instead of deserting God in the good times, saying that he had done it himself.  That's something that I hope I can do as well.  Sometimes it's hard to put selfishness behind me and give God the credit for everything, but it's something that I am striving to do.

My other half assignment is a TEFL chapter....ohhh English.  How I love you, but how I do not know how to teach you.  I guess that this textbook is something for me to read so that I can get a semi-accurate look at how I can approach teaching my language to others.  This assignment doesn't have to be done 'til the 11th, but I can't imagine myself wanting to do it while I am in St. Louis!!!

Well, if I keep typing, it will just be random babbling, so I will spare you the nonsense ;)  May God bless your days as He has been blessing mine!

2 comments:

  1. Good luck in orientation! You will meet some fun people, I'm sure!! Soak it up and take pictures of all your adventures! :) Praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought Nehemiah was very interesting too, the last time I read it. :-) Glad you are able to glean some wisdom from it as you prepare to be a missionary!

    Yeah, teaching English kind of scares me too, which is why I've stayed away from it. Good luck and be sure to check out the amazing power of www.quizlet.com

    ReplyDelete